Sunday, September 7, 2014

PanPastel/Soft Pastel Review



Hello everyone! I hope you are all enjoying the last few weeks of summer. I know I am trying to. The past few weeks I have really jumped in and started working with PanPastels. I saw that Donna Downey had a few beginner PanPastel classes so that's where I started. There were so many colors to choose from so I chose to start with one of her starter pallets that she has for sale on her website. Donna's Shop I have included her shop link incase any of you are interested in going and looking at her classes and products that she offers. You won't be disappointed.

I think the thing I love the most about these is that I can take them anywhere and use them. As you can see the PanPastels come in a cake like form. I would compare it to makeup powder in a compact. There are multiple ways to apply these to your background but the easiest is with a spongelike device. The darker the color the more you dip and wipe onto your paper. It is just as easy to add another color and waaa-laaa they blend together beautifully. I recommend checking out a class from Donna in order to fully understand how they work on different types of paper. Each background they are applied to gives you a different look. Here is an example of a background I did on a get well card. The lady it was made for loves the color orange and I didn't have an orange. So I took red and yellow and this beautiful background took shape.


In order to get the detail in the sunflower I went down to Dickblick and bought Primsacolor's  NuPastels. These look like a crayon and are a soft pastel. You can buy these as a package deal or individually. The package deal starts at $5.60 and goes up to $75.55 at Dickblicks. You can buy them individually for as little as $0.99. There are 96 colors to choose from.  As you can see the black outlining worked wonderfully. Another great thing about these is the fact that you can add water just like you do watercolors and you get a completely different effect. So far the possibilities seem endless. Once you are all done you need to use a spray fixadent so that the pastels stay put. If not it wipes off similar to chalk does if you touch a chalkboard. 

I find these so easy to work with I have a basket that I take out to my living room couch and work while I'm with my kids running around. I am not a pro by any means but I feel that out of all of the mediums I have ever tried this is by far my favorite. I would encourage anyone to pick them up and give them a try. I will add the links to Donna Downey's website along with Dickblicks for the Nupastels. Donna is a wonderful teacher, they have fast shipping and their customer service is amazing. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments about Pastels in general. I look forward to some suggestions on the next product to review. 



Happy Creating!

Tina



No comments:

Post a Comment